Baked Apples or Pears
The great thing about this dessert is that it fits into casual as well as elegant meals.
One apple or pear per serving
Light brown sugar
Peel & core apples or pears. Place onto a lightly buttered baking dish. Lightly dust each piece of fruit with cinnamon and/or cloves and about 1/4 teaspoon of brown sugar. Bake in a Preheated 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until just a little soft. Serve over vanilla ice cream or on a dish with a little warmed pool of caramel! Finish with a bit of whipped cream!
Apple or Pear Cobbler
all the years of marriage to this wonderful woman, she has blessed me with great food. Especially desserts like these. Never store bought. Always fresh.
2 1/2 pounds
medium Granny Smith & Golden Delicious apples (about 5 or 6 total), peeled
(unpeeled optional), cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 to 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (adjust accordingly)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine (1/2 stick), cut into small pieces, plus more for coating the dish
This recipe can be easily doubled.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Lightly coat an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with butter.
- Combine the apples, about half the pecans, granulated sugar, cinnamon,
lemon juice, orange extract, vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt in a large bowl and toss to coat. Place the apple mixture in the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Using the same bowl as for mixing the apples, mix together the brown sugar, oats, flour, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt until evenly combined. With your fingers (easier than spoons or utensils), blend in the butter pieces until small clumps form and the butter is well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples along with the remaining pecans and bake until the streusel is crispy and the apples are tender, about 60 minutes or until browned & crispy.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Serve alone or with ice cream.
Options: Mix apples & pears together
or substitute pears.
For a Christmasy look, add 1/2 cup of red candied cherries cut into pieces.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |